Saturday, October 30, 2010

Impressions of NY

(photo from the roof of The Pencil Factory - studio of Sam Weber)

When I was planning to go to NY, I was really anticipating the things I would see - galleries, shopping, buildings, and such. Now that I am back what really effected me the most were all the lovely people I met! From the helpful people on the streets, the wonderful art directors and editors that took the time to meet with us, and the other artists I had the opportunity to talk with. I wish I had been better at talking to the other illustrators at the opening but I was glad to talk to the few I did.

(Eric Carle's speech was great, now I want to go to his museum!)

Here is a list of links to some of the illustrators,

Jillian Tamaki and Sam Weber. Jillian and Sam were kind enough to have dinner and coffee with us, it was a lovely time talking about illustration, New York, and home.

I've always loved the work of Taeeun Yoo and it was wonderful to meet her in person!

The work of silver medal winner Carson Ellis really stood out, so vivid and fresh.

Silver medal winner Dan Santat was such a great speaker, he really took off the pressure for me!

It is easy to see why Hyewon Yum received the Founder's Award. Super work and so happy I met her.

At the very last moment I was luck enough to meet Lauren Castillo, Alfie Runs Away looks so adorable! I look forward to reading it. (and she has an adorable website!)

Paul Hoppe = cool work!

We have always admired the work of Raul Colon so it was great to have a conversation with him.

Thanks to Rian Sias for stopping to say Hi!

And thanks to everyone else that I met, it was a pretty sweet night!

No comments: