Saturday, May 21, 2011

Paper Dolls


These were one of my favorite toys as a child, I would play with them forever. My mother saved them from her childhood and originally they were on printed sheets. I remember I had to spend a lot of time convincing her to let me cut them out so I could play with them. I must have been very (!) persistent because she eventually gave in.

I would say these were a very big influence on my early progress as an artist, and I think I can see it in my work now - even though I mostly draw animals at the moment.
I will post more in the future.

4 comments:

Jacqueline Hudon-Verrelli said...

She's beautiful. I love old paper dolls. I had some as a kid (not as cool as this though), but they didn't survive my childhood.

Tom Goldsmith said...

Your post brings back memories for me. As a boy, and not very interested in the "gross girly" commercially available options, I would draw and make my own "paper dolls". Mostly of animals. Lions elephants, and yes even pandas.

Funny how the need to create fades in some and for others it sustains us for a lifetime.

Thanks for tweaking the memory.

anitamm said...

lala super!
moja mała córeczka też się bawi papierowymi lalami, ma dla nich dwa pudła z garderobą!
pomysł na książeczkę z twoimi lalami bombowy :-)

Renata said...

Thanks for the lovely story Tom!

bardzo dobry pomysł Anita.